Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Happy National Book Lover's Day

Since it is National Book Lover's Day, I must post about...well...a book.

People ask me all of the time what my favorite book is.  Of course, I have an all time favorite, but my real answer is generally one of the books that I just read because the characters are fresh in my mind.  That does not mean that I love every book that I read or that I am indecisive.  Okay, it could mean that I am indecisive, but I digress.

I want to tell you about the book that I finished last night.  It was a twist on an old tale, and the author even put a teaser in there about another old tale.  So...without further ado...the book is The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury.  This is the second book I have read by this author in the last few weeks, and she is a good story teller.  Back to The Forbidden Wish...

A 17 year old boy finds himself in a cave that he has been drawn to by a strange magic.  He finds a lamp, but this is no ordinary lamp.  This lamp contains a jinni who is the most powerful jinni known to civilization.  This jinni has been locked in this lamp for almost 500 years until the boy picks it up.

Okay, by now, you probably realize that this is a story about a boy named Aladdin, but in this tale, the jinni is actually a girl named Zhara.  In Khoury's rendition, the story is told from Zhara's point of view and she is able to give the readers more insight as to why she was in the lamp in the first place as well as why she wants to get out.

Yes, you may know the basic story, but you will want to read The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury.  It will not disappoint you.

No comments:

Post a Comment