Thursday, July 17, 2014

Alida's Song by Gary Paulsen

Gary is now 14 and life is tough for him.  He has a newspaper route and picks up the odd job at the bar down the street.  He has decided to sleep in the basement so that he can avoid his parents.  Until...he gets a letter from his grandmother.  She tells him that she has a job for him, and he needs to take it.  He boards a train and spends the summer with her on a farm.
I read this in one sitting.  It was absolutely a beautiful story, and it made me miss my grandmother.  She died 20 years ago, but the time we spent together has shaped me into the person I am today.  The same goes for Paulsen.  I highly recommend this wonderful slim book.  If you are a teen, you will like it.  If you are an adult--get the tissues.  It speaks to all of us--just in different ways.

Book 14 in Summer Reading Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment